Due to COVID-19, change has been considerable for all of us. But one thing that has not changed is the Science Spectrum’s commitment to engage, inspire and educate each day. The museum’s staff have developed a comprehensive plan to provide a safe and fun experience for visitors following CDC, state, and local authorities’ guidelines.
Science Spectrum has always placed an emphasis on its cleaning practices, but to ensure an extra clean and safe environment for visitors, we have added the following protocols:
- All visitors over age 10 are required to wear a face mask when attending the museum or OMNI Theater.
- To allow for proper social distancing, we will operate at a reduced capacity of 75% throughout the facility.
- Signage and our staff will encourage social distancing, hand washing / sanitizing, and other safe behaviors.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available in the lobby, and at multiple locations throughout the museum and at the OMNI Theater. We encourage all visitors to either wash hands or use sanitizer upon arrival.
- Staff and Volunteers will be wearing facemasks while in public spaces.
- We have installed Plexiglas shields at the Admissions desk, Gift Shop and Concessions to ensure additional safety for staff and visitors.
- The OMNI Theater will seat guests by party in alternating rows and at least 3 seats apart. Theater seats will be sanitized between each film screening.
- We have installed HEPA air filters, as well as increased the air turnover rate, in the OMNI Theater to ensure the best possible air quality inside the theater.
- Elevators will be limited to single party usage.
- We will have regular disinfection of “high-touch” surfaces such as door handles, door push bars, handrails, elevators buttons, restrooms, vending machines, ticketing and sales counters, public benches and table seating.
- Museum exhibitry will be monitored and wiped down multiple times a day.
- Water fountains will be closed.
- Separate gallery spaces, such as the Lubbock Children’s Museum pre-school children’s area will also be monitored for capacity.
In addition, the Science Gift Shop will be open for walk-in purchases, but will also continue to offer online and over-the-phone sales with curbside pick-up or shipping options. The Concessions stand will be available with all regularly served items.
The museum’s safety protocols adhere to the guidelines as set forth by CDC, the City and the State, and we continue to monitor these guidelines in real time and adjust as needed. If you cannot or do not wish to visit us during our first days back, we completely understand and look forward to welcoming you when you feel more comfortable returning to the Science Spectrum and OMNI Theater.